HARVEY WEINSTEIN has been removed from the board of his company following allegations of sexual harassment against the Hollywood mogul coming to light last week.
“In light of new information about misconduct by Harvey Weinstein that has emerged in the past few days, the directors of the Weinstein Company – Robert Weinstein, Lance Maerov, Richard Koenigsberg and Tarak Ben Ammar – have determined, and have informed Harvey Weinstein, that his employment with the Weinstein Company is terminated, effective immediately,” a statement made by the board read on Sunday.
The announcement comes after The New York Times published an article last Thursday chronicling sexual harassment claims dating back almost three decades, from former employees at the Weinstein Company and his previous company, Miramax. Among the accusers are the actresses Ashley Judd and Rose McGowan, the latter of whom allegedly reached a $100,000 settlement over “an incident of misconduct that happened when she was starring in Scream“, The Guardian says. Weinstein has reportedly reached at least eight settlements with accusers, with claims including that he “would invite women to his hotel room under the guise of work and then greet them naked or ask them to massage him or watch him shower”.
Prior to being removed from the company that he cofounded with his brother in 2005, Weinstein – who is one of the most well-known producers in Hollywood and won an Oscar for Shakespeare In Love in 1998 – said last week that he planned to take a leave of absence and would seek therapy to deal with his issues.
“I appreciate the way I’ve behaved with colleagues in the past has caused a lot of pain, and I sincerely apologise for it,” Weinstein – who has five children, two with his wife Georgina Chapman, who he married in 2007 – said in a statement to The New York Times. “Though I’m trying to do better, I know I have a long way to go.” However, he later disputed the report, saying that he would take legal action.
Several members of the Weinstein Company’s all-male board resigned following the allegations last week, as did his high-profile attorney Lisa Bloom – who withdrew from representing Weinstein this weekend, alongside another adviser, Lanny Davis.